This chapter reviews some of SketchUp’s basic techniques. You’ll also learn about customizing the software environment and adjusting settings to help you with your daily tasks.
SketchUp Models In This Chapter
Below are two of the models that you can explore interactively in your browser (click and drag to orbit):
View and download all models from this chapter on the 3D Warehouse.
Links In This Chapter
Updated links will be listed here:
- http://help.sketchup.com – SketchUp help system (UPDATED)
- https://forums.sketchup.com – SketchUp’s official help forum (UPDATED)
- http://sketchucation.com/forums – SketchUcation forums (UPDATED)
- http://www.aidanchopra.com – Aidan Chopra’s website
- http://www.yourfonts.com – Yourfonts
- http://www.dafont.com – Dafont
- https://alexschreyer.net/cad-bim/when-wii-met-sketchup – Wii remote article
- http://sketchucation.com/all-news/catch-up – The Catch-Up online magazine (UPDATED)
- http://www.sketchup-ur-space.com – The SketchUp-Ur-Space online magazine
Sample Videos From This Chapter
You can access all Chapter 2 videos using the password from the book on Wiley’s companion site: www.wiley.com/go/schreyer2e
All Chapter 2 videos:
- 0201: Making your own template (included here)
- 0202: Trellis example
- 0203: Groups and components
- 0204: Applying and positioning materials
- 0205: Modeling a post cap
- 0206: Importing and scaling images (included here)
- 0207: Modeling from images
- Check out my tutorials on this site in the 3D Modeling category.
- Chapter 3 explains how you can use component-based modeling to your advantage.
- Don’t forget to check out the official SketchUp Learn center for introductory tutorials.
- Aidan Chopra’s videos have always been a great starting point for learning basic SketchUp techniques, too (along with his book).
- My book does not cover LayOut and drawing preparation. Great resources to learn LayOut are Matt Donley’s, Mike Brightman’s, and Paul Lee’s books.
Discuss This Chapter
Use the form below to add any comments, tips, tricks etc. for this chapter…