This chapter goes beyond using SketchUp as a simple 3D modeling tool. Although this software is excellent at that, 3D modeling in SketchUp can be about more than just representing your designs—you can use it very effectively to add design intelligence to your models through parametric objects or data and thereby inform your designs and/or create workflow efficiencies. The following sections cover group- and component-based modeling (for detailing, assembly planning, estimating, and other tasks), working with Dynamic Components, and using Building Information Modeling (BIM) principles.
SketchUp Models In This Chapter:
Below are two of the models that you can explore interactively in your browser (click and drag to orbit):
View and download all models from this chapter on the 3D Warehouse.
Links In This Chapter:
Updated links will be listed here:
- http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse – The Trimble 3D Warehouse
- http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=e89fe26ad1304488de650492e45fb14f – SketchUp’s Dynamic Component cabinets collection
- http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=d86b819368a7afe98095ba2080357053 – SketchUp’s Dynamic Component learning examples
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/buildingmaker – Google’s Building Maker site(UPDATED) – Please note: Google has discontinued this service 6/1/2013.
- http://extensions.sketchup.com/ – SketchUp’s intro to Ruby scripts (UPDATED). The grid plugin can now be installed from here, too.
- http://www.google.com/earth/yourworldin3d/ – Your World in 3D site (UPDATED)
Sample Videos From This Chapter:
You can access all Chapter 3 videos using the password from the book on Wiley’s companion site: www.wiley.com/go/schreyer2e
All Chapter 3 videos:
- 0301: Trimming solid objects (included here)
- 0302: Assembly animation
- 0303: Exporting video (included here)
- 0304: Stud wall dynamic component
- 0305: Space planning with dynamic components
- 0306: Applying IFC classifications
Discuss Your Work:
You can discuss advanced modeling techniques and component-based design with me and other users on this site in the following group:
Comment On This Chapter:
Use the form below to add any comments, tips, tricks etc. for this chapter…