From the Book
In this chapter of Architectural Design with SketchUp, you will learn how you can turn your digital SketchUp models into physical objects. Making something has become such a popular application for SketchUp that Trimble even renamed their free version to SketchUp Make (ed: discontinued 2017, SketchUp “Shop” is now available). This chapter will first cover the possibilities for making with SketchUp and then lay out specific workflows for cutting prep (manual fabrication planning), laser cutting, CNC machining, and 3D printing.
Curious about next steps?
Check out my tutorials on this site in the Making category
SketchUp Models In This Chapter
Below are two of the models that you can explore interactively in your browser (click and drag to orbit):
View and download all models from this chapter on the 3D Warehouse.
Links In This Chapter
Updated links will be listed here:
- https://i.materialise.com/ – i.Materialise
- https://www.ponoko.com/ – Ponoko
- https://www.sculpteo.com/ – Sculpteo
- https://www.shapeways.com/ – Shapeways
- https://100kgarages.com/ – 100k Garages
- https://www.3dhubs.com/ – 3D Hubs
- https://www.makexyz.com/ – makeXYZ
- https://www.finewoodworking.com/blog/design-click-build – Design, Click, Build blog
- https://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/design-it-yourself – Ponoko making instructions
- https://reprap.org/ – RepRap
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/meshlab/ – Meshlab
- http://www.meshmixer.com/ – Meshmixer
- https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ – Mesh repair tool
- https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/overview – Netfabb
Sample Videos From This Chapter
You can access all Chapter 6 videos using the password from the book on Wiley’s companion site: www.wiley.com/go/schreyer2e
All Chapter 6 videos:
- 0601: Parallel-perspective printouts (included here)
- 0602: SketchUp to LayOut for documentation
- 0603: Creating the mobile (included here)
- 0604: Prepping for laser cutting
- 0605: CNC prep for the patterned panel
- 0606: Modeling for 3D printing
- Check out my tutorials on this site in the Making category.
- Chapter 7 shows how you can script with Ruby in SketchUp.
Discuss This Chapter
Use the form below to add any comments, tips, tricks etc. for this chapter…