From the Book
In this chapter of Architectural Design with SketchUp, you will learn how you can turn your digital SketchUp models into physical objects. Making something has become such a popular application for SketchUp that Trimble has been a regular exhibitor at various Maker Faires and education-focused events. This chapter will first cover the possibilities for making with SketchUp and then lay out specific workflows for manual fabrication planning, laser cutting, CNC machining, and 3D printing.
Most of these techniques can be accomplished with the web version of SketchUp, but some require extensions and features that are just found in the desktop (Pro) version.
Note: This chapter was new to the second edition.
Go beyond the book:
Check out my tutorials on this site in the Making category
SketchUp Models In This Chapter
Below are two of the models that you can explore interactively in your browser (click and drag to orbit):
View and download all models from this chapter on the 3D Warehouse.
Links In This Chapter
Updated links will be listed here:
- https://i.materialise.com/ – i.Materialise
- https://www.ponoko.com/ – Ponoko
- https://www.sculpteo.com/ – Sculpteo
- https://www.shapeways.com/ – Shapeways
- https://100kgarages.com/ – 100k Garages
- https://www.3dhubs.com/ – 3D Hubs
- https://www.makexyz.com/ – makeXYZ
- https://www.finewoodworking.com/blog/design-click-build – Design, Click, Build blog
- https://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/design-it-yourself – Ponoko making instructions
- https://reprap.org/ – RepRap
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/meshlab/ – Meshlab
- http://www.meshmixer.com/ – Meshmixer
- https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ – Mesh repair tool
- https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/overview – Netfabb
Sample Videos From This Chapter
You can access all Chapter 6 videos using the password from the book on Wiley’s companion site: www.wiley.com/go/schreyer2e
All Chapter 6 videos:
- 0601: Parallel-perspective printouts (included here)
- 0602: SketchUp to LayOut for documentation
- 0603: Creating the mobile (included here)
- 0604: Prepping for laser cutting
- 0605: CNC prep for the patterned panel
- 0606: Modeling for 3D printing
- Check out my tutorials on this site in the Making category.
UP NEXT: Chapter 7 shows how you can script with Ruby in SketchUp.
Discuss This Chapter
Use the discussion area below to add any comments, tips, tricks etc. for this chapter…